General Discussions
Oops! You're not logged in to General Discussions! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you should register! We enjoy the company~

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

General Discussions
Oops! You're not logged in to General Discussions! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you should register! We enjoy the company~
General Discussions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Releases late 2012
by grrman t Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:21 pm

» Mass Suicide --- 22nd August
by grrman t Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:15 pm

» Anime Section
by grrman t Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:15 pm

» Music, music music
by Lithium_Catalysis Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:52 am

» Great site for new music
by Lithium_Catalysis Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:51 am

» TF2
by Lithium_Catalysis Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:50 am

» how to survive the first night for noobs
by Lithium_Catalysis Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:49 am

» Xbox/PS3 Gamertags
by Lithium_Catalysis Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:47 am

» Ridiculous things
by Jabamonkey Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:49 pm

OU Team #1 (Example)

2 posters

Go down

OU Team #1 (Example) Empty OU Team #1 (Example)

Post  chickenherder Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:37 am

Volcarona (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Hurricane

Volcarona is a total beast. Even unboosted it poses a huge threat to just about anything. Politoad is a problem, especially when scarfed. However, the thing that let's my Volcarona deal with Politoad is the fact I have Hurricane over Hidden Power. Hurricane at +0 does 54.35% - 63.98% to a Scarfed Politoad. I use Focus Sash for this very reason - so I can counter Politoad. No doubt about it that one Hydro Pump and I'd be KO'd but with Focus Sash, I can get my second Hurricane in and save myself from this annoyance. Hurricane won't miss since it's raining (assuming the Politoad has Drizzle). Another reason as to why I have it is that it is the perfect counter to Rain Teams. If the opposing team does not lead with Politoad, then that gives me an even bigger advantage. Most leads use their turns to lay up some entry hazards, and this is where they make the fatal mistake of letting Volcarona use Quiver Dance a few times. Fiery Dance is used over Fire Blast for the chance to increase SPAtk by one stage and Bug Buzz is pretty obvious as to why I have it. EVs are self-explanatory. I use Modest over timid because after one Quiver Dance, I outspeed most Pokemon anyway. The extra damage ensures I OHKO Pokemon with neutral resistances. Even Blissey cannot switch safely into Volcarona. If Blissey is sent out, that gives me a chance to use even more Quiver Dances and at +3... It's possible to 2OHKO a 252 SPDef/HP Blissey with Bug Buzz. The only problem with Volarona is the fact it nearly dies when switching in onto entry hazards, breaking the focus sash and it can't win against priority moves. This is why I lead with it to stop entry hazards being a problem, and all I can do is pray the opponent isn't smart enough to send out Scizor and use Bullet Punch. Overall, this team wouldn't be able to function without this menacing, but beautiful, Pokemon.

Uxie @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 52 SDef / 188 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Rest

"lol y u using uxie uxie is garbage lolol noob" - Haters
Yeah, well, actually... Uxie is the support this team needs. Thunder Wave cripples teams... Stealth Rock adds entry damage to break Sturdy Pokemon and Focus Sash holders... and Knock Off is to be a complete pain in the ass. Seriously, a wall cannot function nearly as well when it doesn't have its leftovers. Or when a Choice Specs Pokemon losses its Specs and doesn't have any boosting moves to allow it to sweep. Rest with Chesto Berry is so I can heal straight back to full HP, status free and continue to wreak the opponents teams with its annoyance. Obviously it has two major flaws... Taunt and Encore. Though... Once you play in OU for a bit, you can learn to predict when the opponent will use those moves, so you can switch out and get a safe switch-in. Even if they manage to use it, you can still switch out. It's a pain, but you can work around it. Uxie has the EVs that it has to make it as bulky as possible with high speed. 354 HP, 300 Def, 309 SPDef and 300 Spd. Cannot complain with that at all. This actually allows me to switch in onto anything when I get into a sticky situation and need to scout. The speed allows me to use Thunder Wave if I cannot switch out safely so I can gain the upper hand on the bad situation. Uxie has saved me many times and will continue to do so.

Azelf @ Leftovers
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

Azelf is AMAZING. Defense? Who needs such a thing. Certainly not a Pokemon that has 361 Spd and 349 SPAtk. Just imagine that with a Calm Mind... Imagine that with TWO Calm Minds or more! The pain this Pokemon can cause to the enemy team is just OP. I can't decide on if I should trade the Leftovers for Focus Sash or maybe Expert Belt... Leftovers is helpful in a Sandstorm or Hail though, because I don't take the extra damage from the weather. Focus sash would be very helpful, but half of the time there will be entry hazards on my side of the field, rendering that item useless. Expert Belt would be very nice, can't go wrong with those extra damage boosts on Super Effective moves - but yeah. Psyshock is to counter Special walls. Flamethrower is for Ferrothorn mainly but gives me the advantage over Grass, Steel, Bug or Ice Pokemon. Shadow Ball is used for anything else. I have a Timid Nature because the Speed is more helpful in this case (since I can boost my SPAtk with Calm Mind). I think Azelf is easily one of the best special sweepers around, I wouldn't give it up easily. It does have a problem with Scarfed Gengar (or anything else Scarfed and with a Super Effective move), but I rarely come across that... Plus there is this amazing in-game mechanic that allows you to switch out to deal with such threats by other means (sarcasm intended, for those who didn't figure that out already).

Mamoswine (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Icicle Spear
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Earthquake

Lithium_Catalysis gave me the idea to use this Pokemon over Rotom-W. Sure Rotom-W caused the team to have great momentum in battles with Volt-Switch, but it couldn't deal with Dragons very well. HP Ice just wasn't strong enough most of the time, especially since Multiscale Dragonite is EVERYWHERE. Icicle Spear is used to break through Gliscor using Sub (since it hits 2-5 times a turn) and KO Multiscale Dragonite - as well as anything else that is weak to ice. Stone Edge is for anything weak to Rock (obviously), I don't like the fact is misses often though, I rarely use it. Superpower is risky to use, I only use it if I know I can escape afterwards (since it lowers Atk and Def by one stage). It is really helpful though, probably my second most used attack after Icicle Spear. Earthquake is there because its 100 base power and accuracy is just great, along side with its typing. Mamoswine has pretty much no threats, other than faster Pokemon or priority users (Bullet Punch Scizor). It has the EVs it has to maximise damage and speed. Choice Scarf was used over Choice Band because Mamoswine already hits like a truck. I did give it Adamant nature however to keep the Speed and Attack as even as possible. Rounded - Mamoswine like this has 400 Atk and Spd. Mamoswine is the ultimate Dragon and Gliscor counter. A much needed Pokemon.

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Roost

Dragonite is even more of a beast than Volcarona It has bulk AND it has damage. I use Dragonite as a late game sweeper usually because nothing is left that can stop it from setting up Dragon Dance. Lum Berry is used so I can switch in on Toxic Spikes, or evade status problems, especially paralysis. Multiscale is used to allow me to get a DD + Roost combo going to allow a successful and clean sweep. Fire Punch is used to deal with Steal types mainly (+1 Fire Punch OHKO's Ferrothorn), and Dragon Claw is used to kill anything else. I used Jolly over Adamant because I realised that Dragonite is quite slow, and needs the extra speed more than the damage to keep up with other dragon types... Scarfed Salamence being one of the main threats. At +6 DD - Dragonite has 1468 Atk and 1036 Spd with Jolly - That's freaking scary. Not sure what else I need to say about this... Dragonite is an all-round beast and will sweep a team at any given moment.

Scrafty (M) @ Big Root
Trait: Shed Skin
- Dragon Dance
- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Substitute

Scrafty is the main sweeper of this team. Once you get one or two Dragon Dances up, with a Substitute... Good luck breaking through that. Scrafty is like Dragonite, it has bulk and it has damage. It has a high-ish base Def and SPDef stat as well. It's pretty much an all-rounder at everything, that is until it uses Dragon Dance. Suddenly, its attack and speed go higher than Choice item holders and if they do manage to hurt you - Drain Punch will just heal that HP back, probably KO'ing the Pokemon that just hit you. I use Big Root over Leftovers or Life Orb because I wanted the extra HP regain from Drain Punch. Shed Skin is used over moxie so I can switch in on Toxic Spikes and take status problems without worry. Crunch and Drain Punch are both used for STAB reasons. They provide decent type coverage. I do quite often come across pesky water types that I have trouble with, but I KO them eventually whilst taking little damage myself. As I mentioned a bit before, Substitute is used to help keep me one-step-ahead. It guaranties that I get a hit in before they get a hit on me. I guess I could go with another attack, but substitute is just too helpful to remove. In all seriousness, Scrafty is a very threatening Pokemon to just about any team. Let it get a DD + Sub up, and you'll know why. Scrafty still works very well without a Substitute up, as Drain Punch spam just heals me constantly while I deal out massive damage to most types, even Pokemon with some form of resistance cannot handle too many hits from Scarfty. I have the EVs set out as they are to ensure max damage and speed. Jolly nature is used to outspeed other Scarfty. Despite all of these amazing abilites Scarfty has, he'd be the one to go if I had to replace a Pokemon (not sure why, he just would be).

So, I know there are some flaws to this team - Like not being able to clear hazards or stop Pokemon setting up with Taunt - But hey, every team has its flaws and my team just works around them. Constructive criticism would be nice.
chickenherder
chickenherder
Admin
Admin

https://thegame.4umer.com

Back to top Go down

OU Team #1 (Example) Empty Re: OU Team #1 (Example)

Post  Lithium_Catalysis Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:05 am

This team looks solid. Kudos on the outcome, seriously. I honestly don't enjoy the whole RMT thing, I'm not confident enough to post mine, and I don't like being critical, but I guess I'd better do it. These are just my preferences, but hey. Heck, it probably doesn't need any changing.

Admin wrote:Volcarona (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Flame Body
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Hurricane
I think this is an excellent idea, using Volcarona as a lead like that. In fact, I'm sorely tempted to use it myself. I now understand why you run Hurricane - fantastic idea. I have no problems with this.

Admin wrote:Uxie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 52 SDef / 188 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Heal Bell
While Uxie does have great defenses, I think it needs to prioritise what it has over other defensive Pokémon of a similar caste. Using ChestoRest is kinda like an attempt at emulating moves like Recover and Moonlight, which...it can't really do. Also, you can only really use it once, feasibly, without Sleep Talk. Uxie is a utility Pokémon, it isn't really meant to wall - only to set stuff up and aid your own team. Besides, Pokémon with more offensive presence like CM ResTalk Suicune are better suited to using Rest, since Uxie is an instant-use sorta thing, while Suicune can stay in and deal damage over a long period of time. I could've explained that a little better, I think.

Admin wrote:Azelf @ Life Orb
- Nasty Plost
- Psyshock
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power Fighting
Azelf isn't suited to a defensive set - Espeon would do a better job of Lefties / CM user, I feel. Dude, it's blessed with Nasty Plot - don't let that go to waste. HP Fighting covers Dark types - what if you come up against a Scrafty, for example?

Admin wrote:Mamoswine (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Icicle Spear
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Earthquake
I was going to suggest a Band set, but then I remembered this team has more than enough firepower already, and a revenge killer like this is invaluable.

Admin wrote:Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Roost
Yeah, Dragonite is Dragonite.
Um.
Yeah.

Admin wrote:Scrafty (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Moxie
- Dragon Dance
- Hi Jump Kick
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
Moxie is more useful on DD Scrafty. If this were Bulk Up Scrafty, then yes, but the main issue here is that Substitute blocks status anyway. In order to retain the resistance to Toxic Spikes, you could run Lum Berry to pick that up. I'm not sure you can really afford to forego Ice Punch here, while Substitute is excellent in its own right, but Ice Punch lets you handle Pokémon like Salamence and Landorus a lot easier. I would also be inclined to use Hi Jump Kick over Drain Punch, because this Scrafty feels like it's trying to be both a DD sweeper and trying to take elements from the Bulk Up tank at the same time, and I think that might be spreading its potential instead of concentrating it. Well, that's just what I'd use, anyway.
Lithium_Catalysis
Lithium_Catalysis

Back to top Go down

Post  chickenherder Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:00 am

Thanks for the review. I totally agree with Hidden Power Fighting on Azelf. Maybe even switching to Espeon. I just never got along well with Espeon, I never had any good sweeps with it. I will try it out though. Scarfty is a difficult Pokemon... So many possible sets... Some work, some don't. I suppose I'll just have to run through a trail and error process with it to see which works the best. I really appreciate some of those ideas for Scrafty though. Uxie... I do like the sound of Heal Bell. Maybe I should find a new support Pokemon all together... Some sort of Parashuffler would be awesome but Dragonite does that the best. I could possibly remove Uxie, change Dragonite to a Parashuffler and bring in another physical offensive Pokemon.

This team was made up in under 10 minutes and then after that, I did a bit of testing between Rotom-W and Mamoswine... So I'm not surprised there's still a lot of work to be done to this team.

Thanks again Lithium - if you have anymore ideas regarding this team, let me know.
chickenherder
chickenherder
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lithium_Catalysis Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:59 am

Espeon obviously has Magic Bounce, and you mentioned you'd prefer Xatu in terms of a Magic Bouncer - but Espeon has a much easier time of sweeping than Xatu. Anyway, Azelf is slightly faster, Espeon is slightly stronger, and Azelf has more balanced defenses. And Azelf has a wider movepool. Magic Bounce would be the factor keeping Espeon a contender in that choice, though.

In terms of Uxie replacements, how about:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Serene Grace; Careful Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Wish

Less of a morsel of Taunt-bait, still paralyses and sets up rocks, can ParaFlinch, and support the team with Wish. Also Steel-typed. Which is always nice.
Lithium_Catalysis
Lithium_Catalysis

Back to top Go down

Post  chickenherder Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:06 am

Yes... Yes... That Jirachi set could work perfectly.
I will keep Azelf for the time being because I like the fact it can outspeed Gengar and a lot of people don't realise that.

Yeah. I always used Xatu for support reasons. Night Shade can be pretty handy on it though. I'll just have a play around with some of the suggestions you made and see what works best in unison with the other Pokemon in my team.

With a bit more work I think this team will become very good. Maybe even good enough to post onto Smogon RMT - who knows. Time will tell.
chickenherder
chickenherder
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lithium_Catalysis Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:38 am

I trialled that Volcarona lead set, but it wouldn't seem to go well for me. Instead, I used an Azelf lead. Not the typical Stealth Rock / Explosion lead, rather a Nasty Plot set. It's worked a couple of times, but I need to try it a little more.
Lithium_Catalysis
Lithium_Catalysis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down